Asphalt (Hot) Roofing
1. General: A general, reliable overview of asphalt is available here at Wikipedia. Not much specific to roofing, but broadly informative.
3. General: The website of the Asphalt Roofing Manufacturers Association is worth taking a look at for information about both residential and commercial roofs.
4. Inspection of asphalt built-up roofs: ROOFER: An Engineered Management System (EMS) for Bituminous Built-Up Roofs is an extremely detailed and valuable resource put together by the US Army Corps of Engineers' Engineer Research and Development Center.
5. Safety: "Asphalt Fume Exposures During the Application of Hot Asphalt to Roofs" does a good job describing the process of installing an asphalt built-up roof and discusses the potential effects and mitigation of exposure to the fumes. Available at the CDC website.
6. Safety: See this Material Safety Data Sheet for health and safety information about (hot) roofing asphalt at the Owens Corning website. This is only an example and other products and brands may be different.
8. Technical: See this Product Data Sheet for the technical characteristics of (hot) roofing asphalt at the Building Products of Canada website. This is only an example and other products and brands may be different.