Metal Roof and Wall Panels
(Standing Seam Metal Roofing has its own page.)
1. General: For an informative, in-depth general article about various roof systems, see this page at the Whole Building Design Guide site, which is maintained by the National Institute of Building Sciences.
2. General: This article, "Cool Metal Roofing", provides a decent overview of metal roofing in general, with emphasis on energy savings. It's on the Whole Building Design Guide site, which is maintained by the National Institute of Building Sciences.
3. Inspection of metal panel roof systems: ROOFER: Membrane and Flashing Condition Indexes for Single-Ply Membrane Roofs - Inspection and Distress Manual is a detailed and valuable resource put together by the US Army Corps of Engineers' Engineer Research and Development Center. Available for download at the Defense Technical Information Center website.
7. Safety: See thi
4. Safety: See this Material Safety Data Sheet for health and safety information about aluminum at the Petersen Aluminum website. This is only an example and other products and brands may be different.
5. Safety: See this Material Safety Data Sheet for health and safety information about galvanized steel at the Petersen Aluminum website. This is only an example and other products and brands may be different.
6. Technical: "Metal Roof Installation Manual" is probably the best, most thorough introduction to metal roofing you can find on the internet. Produced by the Metal Construction Association in 2014, it is available to MCA members as a free download from their Technical Resources page, but you can also view it on the ATAS International website.
7. Technical: "Technical Instructions - Structural Considerations for Metal Roofing", prepared by the US Army Corps of Engineers; produced in 1998. From the document: "This document prescribes the criteria and procedures for designing metal roofs for buildings".