Chimneys and Roofing
Roof Online Staff
See More Roofing Topics
Pictures of Chimneys
Useful Links for Chimneys and Roofing
1. Building Codes: 2018 International Building Code – “Section 2113 Masonry Chimneys” – available on the UpCodes website.
2. Building Codes: 2015 International Residential Code – “Section R1003 Masonry Chimneys” – available on the UpCodes website.
3. Building Codes: “R903.2.2 Crickets and Saddles” from the 2015 IRC and “1503.5 Crickets and Saddles” from the 2018 IBC are relevant. Both available on the UpCodes website.
4. Maintenance: “Water and Your Masonry Chimney” is a short general introduction to weather-related chimney maintenance available on the Chimney Safety Institute of America website.
5. Technical: “Chimney Flashings” is an excellent illustrated article in ASHI Reporter, a monthly publication of the American Society of Home Inspectors.
6. Technical: “Technical Notes 19B – Residential Chimneys – Design and Construction” is a great document for the technical information as well as the general understanding of chimneys that it provides. Available on the excellent website of the Brick Industry Association.
7. Technical: Safety: “A Huff, and a Puff, and…It Blew the Chimney Down” covers “how the lack of design, construction, and code requirements results in chimneys lacking sufficient capacity to resist below design wind loads leading to unsafe conditions.” Available on the Nelson Forensics website.