Wall Cladding and Siding • Useful Information Guide
Roof Online Staff
Useful Links for Wall Cladding and Siding Information
2. General: “Wall Systems” is a great introductory article on, yes, wall systems. Explains cavity walls, wall drainage, cladding attachment, and much, much more. Available at the Whole Building Design Guide site, which is maintained by the National Institute of Building Sciences.
3. General: “Aluminum and Vinyl Siding on Historic Buildings (the Appropriateness of Substitute Materials for Resurfacing Historic Wood Frame Buildings)” is worth taking a look at. The article is from 1984 and available on the US National Park Service’s Technical Preservation Services website.
5. Stucco: The Preservation and Repair of Historic Stucco is an outstanding article which is also worth reading as an introduction to stucco in general. The article is from 1990 and available on the US National Park Service’s Technical Preservation Services website.
6. Terra-Cotta: “The Preservation of Historic Glazed Architectural Terra-Cotta” is a useful resource available on the US National Park Service’s Technical Preservation Services website; take note that the article is from 1979 and some technological references may be out of date.
8. Vinyl Siding: The Vinyl Siding Institute provides a Vinyl Siding Installation Manual on their website.
9. Wood Siding (cedar clapboards): See this installation guide for insight into how a wood clapboard siding system is put together. This well-made guide was put together by the Western Red Cedar Lumber Association, and can be found on the website of Janss Lumber.
10. Wood Siding (cedar shakes and shingles): See this installation guide for insight into how a wood shake or shingle siding system is put together. This thorough guide is provided by the Cedar Shake and Shingle Bureau.
11. Manufacturers: See this list of cladding and siding manufacturers.