Roof Coatings: Guide to Useful Information
Roof Online Staff
- Building Sealant and Caulk
- Cool Roofs
- Is a Roof Coating a Waste of Money?
- Roof Coating Manufacturers
- Types of Roof Coatings
Useful Links for Roof Coating Information
Information from roof coating manufacturers can be biased, and information provided by contractors who specialize in applying roof coatings can be downright misleading.
2. General: “Types of Roof Coatings“. See this Roof Online page for detailed information about the various kinds of roof coatings available.
3. General: “Use of Primers Prior to Roof Coating” is an excellent technical bulletin produced by the Roof Coatings Manufacturers Association (RCMA). Explains surface preparation in general for all kinds of substrates.
4. Aluminized Coatings: “Recommendations for the Application of Aluminum Roof Coatings” – practical guidelines put together by the RCMA.
5. Asphalt-Based Low-Slope Roofing: “MRCA Roof Coatings Research – A Progress Report” examines the performance over time of various types of roof coatings applied to the modified bitumen and asphalt built-up roofs on several test roofs in four different climatic regions. From the NRCA.
7. Building Codes: “R905.15 Liquid-Applied Roofing” from the 2018 International Residential Code and “1507.15 Liquid-Applied Roofing” from the 2018 International Building Code. Available on the UpCodes website.
8. Polyurea Coatings: “Polyurea Spray Coatings – The Technology and Latest Developments” is from 2002, so obviously no longer the “latest” information, but this paper does a great job explaining the basic technical aspects of polyurea coatings.
9. Manufacturers: See this list of roof coating manufacturers.