Wood Shingles and Shakes
3. Chemical Compatibility of cedar: "Compatibility of Materials in Contact" shows which other construction materials should or should not be used with cedar. Available on the website of the Continuous Group.
4. Inspection of Wood Shingle and Shake Roofs: "Mastering Roof Inspections: Wood Shakes and Shingles, Part 1" at the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors' website is worth taking a look at. This guide has six more parts, which can be accessed from this page.
5. Maintenance and cleaning: "Care and Maintenance of Wood Shingle and Shake Roofs" goes into a decent amount of detail. The article can be found on Oregon State University's Oregon Wood Innovation Center's site.
6. Technical: Installation guide: see this roof manual page for access to extensive construction details that show what's going on (or should be going on) in a wood shake or shingle roof. Provided by the Cedar Shake and Shingle Bureau.
7. Technical: See this Product Data Sheet for the technical characteristics of cedar shakes and shingles at the website of the Cedar Shake and Shingle Bureau. This is only an example and other products and brands may be different.
8. Technical: "The Repair and Replacement of Historic Wooden Shingle Roofs" is an excellent article available on the US National Park Service's Technical Preservation Services website.