1. Coal Tar Pitch Roofing: Barrett's Handbook on Roofing and Waterproofing for Architects, Engineers, and Builders - Barrett Manufacturing Co. - (published in 1896, 48 pages).
2. Copper Roofing: Copper Flashings - A Manual - A Handbook of Data on the Use of Copper As a Flashing Material with Standard Details of Construction and Specifications for Sheet-Copper Work - Copper and Brass Research Association - (published in 1925, 66 pages).
3. Copper Roofing: Copper Roofings - A Manual - Information for Architects and Roofing Contractors - Copper and Brass Research Association - (published in 1925, 25 pages).
4. Slate Roofing: Slate Roofs - National Slate Association - (published in 1926, 83 pages).
5. Slate Roofing: The Story of Slate - Charles H. Davis - Davis Slate & Manufacturing Company - (published in 1923, 7 pages).
2. Metal Roofing: Metals in America's Historic Buildings - Uses and Preservation Treatments provides extensive coverage of the subject - 174 pages - and is well-researched. Available on the website of the National Park Service.
3. Terra-Cotta: "The Preservation of Historic Glazed Architectural Terra-Cotta" is a good introduction to architectural terra-cotta, and also covers maintenance and repair techniques. Available on the US National Park Service's Technical Preservation Services site.
4. Tile Roofing: Historic and Obsolete Roofing Tile - Preserving the history of roofing tiles by Vincent H. Hobson and Melvin Mann. "The only reference book ever compiled addressing the identification of old, historic and obsolete roofing tiles."
5. Wood Shingles: "Fabricating and Installing Side-Lap Roof Shingles in Eastern Pennsylvania" by James Houston and John N. Fugelso, from 2008, is a terrific article, hugely informative. Available on the website of the Association for Preservation Technology International.