1. Coal Tar Pitch Roofing: Barrett's Handbook on Roofing and Waterproofing for Architects, Engineers, and Builders - Barrett Manufacturing Co. - (published in 1896, 48 pages).
2. Copper Roofing: Copper Flashings - A Manual - A Handbook of Data on the Use of Copper As a Flashing Material with Standard Details of Construction and Specifications for Sheet-Copper Work - Copper and Brass Research Association - (published in 1925, 66 pages).
3. Copper Roofing: Copper Roofings - A Manual - Information for Architects and Roofing Contractors - Copper and Brass Research Association - (published in 1925, 25 pages).
4. Slate Roofing: Slate Roofs - National Slate Association - (published in 1926, 83 pages).
5. Slate Roofing: The Story of Slate - Charles H. Davis - Davis Slate & Manufacturing Company - (published in 1923, 7 pages).
2. Metal Roofing: Metals in America's Historic Buildings - Uses and Preservation Treatments provides extensive coverage of the subject - 174 pages - and is well-researched. Available on the website of the National Park Service.
3. Terra-Cotta: "The Preservation of Historic Glazed Architectural Terra-Cotta" is a good introduction to architectural terra-cotta, and also covers maintenance and repair techniques. Available on the US National Park Service's Technical Preservation Services site.
4. Tile Roofing: Historic and Obsolete Roofing Tile - Preserving the History of Roofing Tiles* by Vincent H. Hobson and Melvin Mann. "The only reference book ever compiled addressing the identification of old, historic and obsolete roofing tiles."
5. Wood Shingles: "Fabricating and Installing Side-Lap Roof Shingles in Eastern Pennsylvania" by James Houston and John N. Fugelso, from 2008, is a terrific article, hugely informative. Available on the website of the Association for Preservation Technology International.