Metal Roofing: Useful Information Guide
Roof Online Staff
- Cladding and Siding
- Copper Roofing
- Roof Decks
- Rooftop Equipment Screens
- Standing Seam Metal Roofing
- Weight of Roofing Materials
- Weight of Sheet Steel
Useful Links for Metal Roofing
2. General: The Canadian Sheet Steel Building Institute’s website is an excellent source of all kinds of information, with many fact sheets and other resources available.
3. General: This article, “Cool Metal Roofing“, provides a decent overview of metal roofing in general, with emphasis on energy savings. It’s on the Whole Building Design Guide site.
4. General: “RICOWI Best Practices Guides for Roofing – Low Slope Metal” is available on the website of the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety. (“RICOWI” stands for the Roofing Industry Committee on Weather Issues).
5. General: “RICOWI Best Practices Guides for Roofing – Steep Slope Metal” is also available on the website of the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety.
6. Building Codes: “R905.10 Metal Roof Panels” from the 2018 International Residential Code and “1507.4 Metal Roof Panels” from the 2018 International Building Code. Both available on the UpCodes website.
8. Inspection of metal panel roof systems: ROOFER: Inventory Procedures and Inspection Manual for Metal Panel Roofing is a detailed and valuable resource put together by the US Army Corps of Engineers’ Engineer Research and Development Center. Available for download at the Defense Technical Information Center website.
9. Safety: See this material safety data sheet for health and safety information about aluminum at the Petersen Aluminum website. This is only an example and other products and brands may be different.
10. Safety: See this material safety data sheet for health and safety information about sheet steel at the Petersen Aluminum website. This is only an example and other products and brands may be different.
11. Technical: “Metal Roof Installation Manual” is probably the best, most thorough introduction to metal roofing you can find on the internet. Produced by the Metal Construction Association in 2014, it is available to MCA members as a free download from their Online Education Resources page, but it’s also on the ATAS International website.
12. Technical: “Technical Instructions – Structural Considerations for Metal Roofing“, prepared by the US Army Corps of Engineers; produced in 1998. From the document: “This document prescribes the criteria and procedures for designing metal roofs for buildings”.
13. Manufacturers: See this list of metal roofing product manufacturers.