Built-up Roofs (BUR)
1. General: For an informative, in-depth general article about various roof systems, see this page at the Whole Building Design Guide site, which is maintained by the National Institute of Building Sciences.
2. General: Also see Asphalt (Hot) Roofing.
3. General: Also see Coal Tar Pitch Roofing.
5. Inspection and maintenance of built-up roof systems: ROOFER: An Engineered Management System (EMS) for Bituminous Built-Up Roofs is an extremely detailed and valuable resource put together by the US Army Corps of Engineers' Engineer Research and Development Center, and available at the Defense Technical Information Center website.
6. Safety: See this Material Safety Data Sheet for health and safety information about the roofing asphalt used in built-up roof systems at the Owens Corning website. This is only an example and other products and brands may be different.
8. Safety: See this Material Safety Data Sheet for health and safety information about the interply felts used in built-up roof systems at the Johns Manville website. This is only an example and other products and brands may be different.
10. Manufacturers: A list of built-up roof system manufacturers can be seen here.